Bourbon Chai - The Gingered Whisk

Saturday, December 19, 2015

Bourbon Chai

So when I was asked to join in on a "12 Days of Holiday Cocktails with a Tipsy Blogger Circle" you pretty much knew I was going to say yes! I joined up with 5 other bloggers to bring you a lovely selection of the finest holiday drinks ever. And I did a whole heck of a lot of recipe testing (it was reaaaally hard work, just so you know, but my liver and I were perfectly happy to put in the elbow grease necessary) and I am so excited to show you guys my new favorite drink. And I'm not just saying that because I've had one for the last 9 nights. Ahem...

Bourbon Chai - Perfect drink for a cold night!





Chai teas are one of my favorite warm drinks (in third place after coffee and Earl Grey tea). In the summer I like it cold with a shot of espresso, but I thought since its cold and gross out I would replace the espresso with a shot of something else, instead! My husband has been on a bit of a bourbon kick lately, and so it just seemed the logical choice. Plus that nice warm feeling you get with a shot of whiskey really compliments a nice warm drink, don't you think? The key to this drink is to use a good quality bourbon with a rich and smooth finish. If you use a spice-forward brand I think it really overpowers the chai flavors of the tea. 

Bourbon Chai - Combines perfect chai tea with a mellow whiskey for a perfect winter cocktail

Sure, you could use a chai flavored tea bag, but I love using fresh whole spices - it really causes the flavors of the spices to be pure and vibrant. I also decided to be a rebel and forgo the typical ceylon or assam tea and instead replaced it with my beloved earl grey tea. I think Earl Grey works beautifully here as the bergamot in the tea pairs gorgeously with the spices added. 


Bourbon Chai - The Gingered Whisk





Bourbon Chai


by The Gingered Whisk
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Keywords: beverage alcohol Christmas Thanksgiving fall winter
Ingredients (4 servings)
  • 4 tsp good quality earl grey loose leaf tea (or 4 teabags)
  • 4 green cardamom pods
  • 4 whole allspice berries
  • 4 whole pink peppercorns
  • 4 whole cloves
  • 1 star anise
  • 1 cinnamon stick
  • pinch fresh ground nutmeg
  • 1" piece of ginger, peeled and thinly sliced
  • 1/2 vanilla bean
  • 3 cups water
  • 3 cups almond milk
  • 3TBSP honey
  • 1/2 cup Buffalo Trace Bourbon
Instructions
Using a spice grinder, grind together the cardamom, allspice, peppercorns, cloves, and star anise until roughly chopped. They don't need to be perfectly ground.
Using a sharp knife, slice the vanilla bean in half lengthwise.
In a medium saucepan, combine the chopped spices, tea, cinnamon stick, the vanilla bean, and water.
Heat to a boil and then remove from heat.
Whisk in the almond milk and honey.
Allow to steep for 15 minutes.
Stir in the bourbon and strain out the spices.
Portion into 4 glasses and enjoy!
Powered by Recipage



Be sure to check out the other bloggers and check out the awesome Holiday Drinks they have concocted for you!

9 comments:

  1. Yum! It is finally cold here in NJ and this would be perfect for right now as I can't feel my fingers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm definitely going to try this out! I've really gotten into drinking tea this year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds delicious. I'm a fan of both chai and bourbon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That sounds like a lovely way to warm up in yucky cold weather! And LOL on how much work it was to test out all the recipes... I'd be happy to do that too ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. That sounds yummy! I've never tried chai tea. I don't like regular black tea and I'm always wondering what else to drink that's nice and warm besides coffee.

    ReplyDelete
  6. BB will keep the espresso-AND this recipe. Gracias.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds delicious! I love Chai tea and I love bourbon. Sounds like a good combination to me! By the way, what recipe widget are you using on your blog?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Always nice to have a warm drink on a cold and rainy day and I bet this one is just perfect! Thanks for joining the January Country Fair Blog Party!
    Laurie

    ReplyDelete
  9. Heck yes - spiked chai is such a great winter drink. All of those complex spices really pair well with bourbon :)

    ReplyDelete

Leave a Comment!

blog design by adoration