Sourdough Hot Dog Buns - The Gingered Whisk

Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Sourdough Hot Dog Buns



This month for Sourdough Surprises we picked to do something we were sure no one had attempted - hot dog and hamburger buns! How simple is it to just pick up a bag of pre made ones at the store? Super simple, right?



I was all ready to chalk this month up to a big fat failure. I unknowingly put this off to the last possible minute, the day was crazy, and I was attempting to bake my first actual bread in who knows how long with a snotty grumpy baby suffering from allergies tied to my back (yay baby carriers!) and pulling my hair while a hyper (almost) 4 year old was attempting to put dinosaur footprints in my dough. Add to that the fact that it was cold in my house, my not very well fed starter was feeling sluggish, and my dough was super sticky and I really didn't have much hopes for these buns.



I was pleasantly surprised, though! While they didn't raise very high, and they aren't as super soft and fluffy as store bough (but not as full of fake ingredients, either!) they have a nice chewy texture and a good sourdough tang. I liked them a lot more than I thought I would.



Check out all the other delicious sourdough sandwich buns made this month for Sourdough Surprises!

An InLinkz Link-up



Sourdough Hot Dog Buns


by The Gingered Whisk
Prep Time: 6 hours
Cook Time: 33 minutes
Keywords: bread sourdough
Ingredients (9 buns)
  • 200 g whole wheat flour
  • 233 g all purpose flour
  • 300 g water
  • 10 g salt
  • 37 g honey
  • 27 g softened butter
  • 170 g sourdough starter (100%)
  • sesame seeds for topping
  • egg white for topping
Instructions
In the bowl of a stand mixer with a dough hook, combine all the ingredients except 30 g of water.
Mix on low speed until incorporated, about 4 minutes (it should be medium-soft, if not add some of the reserved water).
Continue mixing at medium speed until the gluten has reached nearly full development with a window pane test.
Once the gluten is developed add the rest of the water and continue mixing until all the water is incorporated. It will be a soft but strong dough.
Ferment at room temperature for 2.5 hours, folding the dough at 50 minutes and 100 minutes.
Divide the dough into 9 pieces, each about 100g, shaping into a hot dog bun shape.
Place the buns on a parchment lined baking sheet.
Cover with a tea towel and allow to rest at room temperature for 3 hours.
Preheat the oven to 400F (you will also need steam for baking, so prepare for this now).
In a small bowl whisk together an egg white and 1 tsp water, and brush over the buns.
Sprinkle sesame seeds on top.
Bake for 8 minutes with steam, and then another 20-25 without, or until the buns are nicely browned.
Cool on a wire rack.
Powered by Recipage


(lightly adapted from Wild Yeast)


12 comments:

  1. That looks like a really good crumb, especially for a cold, rushed job!

    Oh and personally I think a dinosaur footprint on each roll would have given them a very artisan touch :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the sourdough tang. Nice crumb you got there!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shaping dough into hot dog rolls scares me for some reason. Power to you for getting it done with so many things stacked against you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was sticky, and messy, and kind of stressful. LOL Most of my buns are kind of wonky shaped, but taste and texture sometimes win over appearance, right?

      Delete
  4. All those holes - it's like a ciabatta hotdog bun. How artisanal of you, Jenni! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally did that on purpose... LOL :)

      Delete
  5. What does the terminology "100%" or "80%" sourdough starter refer to? I had never heard of it (even though I use my starter all the time and make some pretty darn deliscious stuff...) I've seen both in these bun recipes and don't have a clue what they are talking about.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 100% starter means that the starter is fed equal amounts of flour and water - When I feed my starter I have (for example) 100 g starer, 100 g water and 100 g flour mixed together. Higher hydration rates (like 120%) mean more water than flour and yield more open crumbs, but are also more difficult to handle and work with. A lower hydration rate yields smaller crumbs, but are much easier to work with (think braiding a challah). I prefer to keep my starter at 100% because it lends itself to most recipes easiest, and its not difficult to change the hydration for a small amount of starter for a specific recipe.

      Delete
  6. Congrats on surviving your crazy day and for such a lovely final product!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh Jenni, that crumb looks just divine! I would love to sink my teeth into one of those right now!

    ReplyDelete
  8. They look great! I like the airy crumb; and the crust has a beautiful color, they remind me of pretzels :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. These look yummy...I'm super impressed that you worked with sourdough at all! I'm scared of it ;)

    ReplyDelete

Leave a Comment!

blog design by adoration