Steak and Root Vegetable Pot Pie - The Gingered Whisk

Thursday, November 7, 2013

Steak and Root Vegetable Pot Pie

Steak and Root Vegetabe Pot Pie


Sometimes the days get away from me without me even knowing it. I consider myself lucky that I can tell the days of the week - Sunday is church and Walking Dead, Tuesdays are preschool days, Thursdays are preschool (with swimming and show and tell). But beyond that, I really have no idea what day it is. The winter tends to do that to us. We get stuck in our routines, try not to go outside, and just live our lives. Sometimes we need to find our adventure where we can - and sometimes that involves creating new recipes for dinner, because you didn't have a plan in place.

I think I am starting to get my father's talent for just throwing stuff together and being totally in love with the outcome because this. was. delicious. Creating new recipes that turn out amazing is a great feeling. I won't lie, I had THREE helpings. And wanted more, but decided maybe, just maybe I should save some for lunch the next day.

Steak and Root Vegetabe Pot Pie


Steak and Root Vegetable Pot Pie


by The Gingered Whisk
Prep Time: 40 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Keywords: entree beef bacon carrots collard greens winter
Ingredients (6 servings)
  • 5 pieces bacon
  • 1/2 white onion, diced
  • 2 carrots, peeled and chopped
  • 1 parsnip, peeled and chopped
  • 1 small bunch collard greens, veined and chopped
  • 2-3 leftover steaks, diced
  • 2 cups red wine
  • 1 cup beef broth
  • 2 bay leaves
  • 3 TBSP of flour
  • 1 sheet of puff pastry
Instructions
Preheat oven to 400F.
In a large skillet over medium-high heat, cook the bacon until almost done, so its still a little soft and limpy.
Remove the bacon, and save the grease in the pan.
Add the onion to the pan and cook until almost starting to caramelize, about 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
Add the carrots and parsnips and cook an additional 5 minutes, or until they just barely start to soften, stirring occasionally.
Remove the vegetables from the pan and keep warm.
Add the collard greens to the pan and cook, stirring frequently, until they start to wilt. Remove from pan.
Pour the red wine and beef stock into the pan to deglaze, add the bay leaves and allow to simmer for 10-15 minutes, until reduced by half.
Remove the bay leaves.
Whisk in the flour until you get a slightly thickened sauce.
In a large bowl, mix together the bacon, steak, vegetables, and sauce.
Pour into a greased 2 quart dish.
Top with the puff pastry sheet.
Bake at 400F for 20 minutes (or follow the directions on your puff pastry package).
Serve and Enjoy!
Powered by Recipage

2 comments:

  1. Yum! I've never made a beef stew-y pot pie but I saw a few this month that make me want to bake one up as soon as possible! I always put parsnips in my beef stew. It's fantastic...and I like the addition of greens in your pie. I'll have to to copy that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. If it makes you feel any better, I still have a half written post for tres leches cake in my draft folder :-)
    The pie sounds great!

    ReplyDelete

Leave a Comment!

blog design by adoration