Summer Mixed Berry Crisp - A Guest Post! - The Gingered Whisk

Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Summer Mixed Berry Crisp - A Guest Post!

Hope you guys are doing well! I have another guest post for you guys, this time from Carrie from Bake No Prisoners! Sometime in August I put out a plea on Facebook asking for guest posters and was so thrilled when Carrie said she would! I had secretly been following Carrie's blog for a while now, and didn't even know she knew who I was! I loved all her yummy baked goods, and I know you will, too!




Hi you guys!!! This is Carrie from Bake No Prisoners!! Jenni asked me if I would be willing to stop by for a guest post while she was at home with her new babe and I just couldn’t say no. I just love everything about The Gingered Whisk and I would do just about anything for a fellow nerd. From her Sourdough Everything Crackers to her Crispy Sweet Potato Fries with Spicy Lime Dressing, Jenni comes up with the best recipes on the net. And this guest post just gives me another reason to stop by.



Today I brought a Summery Mixed Berry Crisp to share with you guys. The end of summer is here already, so I say let’s have one last hurrah for summer desserts. This is the perfect dessert for the end of summer because of all the sweet summery berry goodness, topped with warm, pecan streusel. 



I am in love with fresh berries and I had the perfect opportunity to pick them up at our small town farmer’s market a few weeks ago. I couldn’t resist eating half of the carton even before we got home, but I was able to use the rest of my blueberries and raspberries for this amazing treat. You can also switch things up a bit for fall by adding apples and cinnamon if you’d like too.



Thanks again Jenni for letting me guest post today! I had such a great time! xoxo

Summery Mixed Berry Crisp (recipe by Carrie) 
Makes 8x8 inch crisp

For the topping:
6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
¼ cup packed light brown sugar
¼ cup granulated sugar
1 teaspoon baking spice or ½ teaspoon cinnamon & ½ teaspoon nutmeg
¼ teaspoon salt
5 tablespoons cold salted butter, cut into ½ inch slices
½ cup coarsely chopped pecans
½ cup quick oatmeal

Filling:
1 carton or pint of blueberries
2 small cartons or pint of raspberries
½ cup sugar
3 teaspoons cornstarch
½ tablespoon lemon juice

Directions:

Preheat oven to 375 degrees and adjust your oven rack to the lower-middle position.
I used a round tart pan for my crisp, so I was able to fill my pan to the top with berries, but if you don’t have one, then I would use an 8x8 inch pan.

For the topping:
Pour the four, brown sugar, granulated sugar, baking spice, and salt in a food processor and pulse briefly to combine. Add the butter and pulse 10-15 times, about 5 second for each pulse. The topping will look like coarse cornmeal. Add the pecans and pulse for an additional 5 1-second pulses. At this time, your topping will resemble wet sand. Refrigerate while you make the filling, about 10-15 minutes.

For the filling:

Gently toss the blueberries, raspberries and any additional berry with sugar, cornstarch, and lemon juice. Scrape the fruit filling with a rubber spatula into your 8x8 inch baking pan.

Assembly and bake:

Spread the chilled topping evenly over the fruit filling. Bake for 35-40 minutes. Increase your oven temperature to 400 degrees and continue to bake until fruit is bubbly and the topping is golden brown, about 5 minutes. Serve warm and top with vanilla ice cream.


Recipe by Carrie





3 comments:

  1. Great post, so nice of you to help her out... I would loooove a serving of these berries right now! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing Jenni!! I had such a fun time putting this together. I hope you and your new little one are doing well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing Jenni! I had so much fun guest posting! I hope you and your new little one are doing well.

    ♥Carrie@BakeNoPrisoners

    ReplyDelete

Leave a Comment!

blog design by adoration