Overnight Baked Apple Oatmeal with Crunchy Brown Sugar Streusel - The Gingered Whisk

Thursday, October 31, 2013

Overnight Baked Apple Oatmeal with Crunchy Brown Sugar Streusel

Overnight Baked Apple Oatmeal with Crunchy Brown Sugar Streusel - The Gingered Whisk

Hi. Let's take a moment and be honest here. Does anyone else feel like the world is spinning slightly out of control? Each day seems to just fly by in record speed. I feel like I am barely getting the kids fed and dressed (ok, we have spent a considerably more time in our pajamas than usual lately), and then before you know it, I'm prepping the coffee pot for the morning and reading bedtime stories. I am barely getting the dishwasher loaded and ran each day (and only so we have enough bottles to get us through the night). I have no idea how we are eating three meals a day (ok, because we are eating mac and cheese and scrambled eggs mostly), and my house is a disaster. Like, literally. I don't even remember the last time I vacuumed. Which is bad, because I have 2 dogs. And they are shedding. And while I have done laundry, we are most definitely living out of laundry baskets. In the living room. And I am pretty sure for the last three weeks I've only showered on Sundays. 

Whew. I'm glad I got that off my chest. I know most of it is the "new baby" factor, added to the fact that we are doing preschool now, and my husband is working ridiculous hours, but still... Holy crazyness. My husband is a saint for not mentioning the state of the house, or the fact that I might have forgotten to brush my teeth, or that I have been wearing the same cardigan for...three days now...? Hmm... Now that I think of it, did I put on clean underwear this morning... (Yes, Mom, I did! I think...)

Overnight Baked Apple Oatmeal with Crunchy Brown Sugar Streusel - The Gingered Whisk

This oatmeal is perfect for company, or for busy mornings. Or for mornings where you only have one hand available to make breakfast for you and a three year old before preschool starts and you accidentally slept in and now only have 45 minutes to get three people ready for the day. I ate this literally for an entire week, and it was just as delicious the last day as it was the first. Granted the crunchy topping wasn't so crunchy after being microwaved, but it still added an extra delicious element to the oatmeal. And I definitely loved it enough that I made it again the very next week. It does take a little bit of prep time the night before, but I think it is totally worth it to have zero prep the next morning! Hey, oatmeal is good stuff, and not having to stand at the stove for ten minutes stirring is even better! :) 

Overnight Baked Apple Oatmeal with Crunchy Brown Sugar Streusel - The Gingered Whisk



Overnight Baked Apple Oatmeal with Crunchy Brown Sugar Streusel


by The Gingered Whisk
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Keywords: breakfast apple oats fall
Ingredients (8 servings)
    for the apples:
    • 2 TBSP butter
    • 4 cups peeled and chopped apples (use a variety that will hold up to cooking)
    • 2 TBSP brown sugar
    • 1 tsp cinnamon
    • 1/3 cup fresh apple cider
    for the oatmeal:
    • 2 TBSP butter, melted
    • 2 cups milk
    • 1 cup unsweetened applesauce
    • 2 eggs
    • 3/4 cup brown sugar
    • 1 TBSP cinnamon
    • 1/2 tsp nutmeg
    • 1/2 tsp salt
    • 2 tsp vanilla extract
    • 3 cups old fashioned oats
    • 1 cup steel cut oats
    for the crunchy brown sugar streusel:
    • 1/3 cup flour
    • 1/3 cup old fashioned oats
    • 1/3 cup brown sugar
    • 1/2 tsp salt
    • 1/2 tsp baking powder
    • 4 TBSP butter, at room temperature, cut into 1/2" pieces
    Instructions
    Butter a deep 9" square baking dish (or something that will hold 2-2.5 quarts).
    for the apples:
    In a large skillet over medium heat, melt the butter.
    Add the apples, brown sugar and cinnamon and stir to coat.
    Pour in the apple cider and cook until the apples are soft and the cider has mostly reduced and disappeared from the pan, about 10-15 minutes.
    Remove from heat and set aside.
    for the oatmeal:
    In a large bowl, whisk together the butter, milk, applesauce, eggs, brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt and vanilla.
    Stir in the apples and oats.
    Transfer to the buttered baking dish and spread evenly.
    Cover tightly with plastic wrap, pressing so the plastic touches the top of the oatmeal.
    Refrigerate overnight.
    In the morning:
    Preheat the oven to 375F.
    In a medium bowl, use a fork to mix together the flour, oats, brown sugar, salt and baking soda.
    Cut in the butter with the fork until the mixture is sandy, crumbly, and there are pea sized pieces of butter.
    Remove the oatmeal from the fridge and remove the plastic wrap.
    Sprinkle the top with the streusel mixture.
    Bake 30-35 minutes or until the oatmeal is hot and the streusel is golden brown.
    Serve with warmed milk and enjoy!
    Powered by Recipage




    4 comments:

    1. Oh gosh, did you say struesel on oatmeal?? I need to make this.

      And if we're being honest, I live out of laundry baskets too. And I don't even have any kids!

      ReplyDelete
    2. Love that you put a layer of streusel on top of oatmeal! So good!

      ReplyDelete
    3. I'm glad I'm not the only one living out of laundry baskets. Good luck momma!

      ReplyDelete
    4. I love baked oats - it's so nice to make a batch for the whole week! The addition of streusel is genius!

      ReplyDelete

    Leave a Comment!

    blog design by adoration