Lentil Barley Burgers with Firey Fruit Salsa - The Gingered Whisk

Thursday, August 15, 2013

Lentil Barley Burgers with Firey Fruit Salsa

Lentil Barley Burgers with Firey Fruit Salsa

I am pretty sure I have a problem on my hands. My husband has become addicted to spicy foods. He has always liked spicy foods, but lately its become almost fanatical. He is dumping sriracha sauce on eeeeeverything. No matter what I make, he says its not spicy enough and dumps a bunch of sauce on it.  We even found this Indian food truck by our house (a food truck! In Marietta!) and I'm always telling the owner "Make it hotter! Give him all you got! I want to see him cry!" The guy always laughs at me, I think he doesn't take me seriously. So I have been on a quest lately to find recipes to satisfy my husband, and yet they have to be able to be consumed by a pregnant lady and a 3 year old, too. 

Lentil Barley Burgers with Firey Fruit Salsa

We ended up loving this dish (and yes, Joel did add extra sriracha sauce...), its perfect for a hot summer day - its filling yet seems light, and you honestly can't go wrong with fruit salsa. I also think these have been my best non-meat patties yet! I served ours on a bed of lettuce, but you don't have to. The only thing is that these do take a bit of time (the mixture has to sit in the fridge for an hour before you cook), but they are delicious, and so worth it. Have a snack while you wait. :) 

Lentil Barley Burgers with Firey Fruit Salsa


Lentil Barley Burgers with Fiery Fruit Salsa


by The Gingered Whisk
Prep Time: 1 hour 30 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Keywords: entree vegetarian low-cal low-fat mango pineapple lentils barley summer
Ingredients (4 servings)
    Fiery Fruit Salsa:
    • 1/4 cup finely chopped pineapple
    • 1/4 cup finely chopped mango
    • 1/4 cup finely chopped tomatillo
    • 1/4 cup halved grape tomatoes
    • 1 TBSP fresh lime juice
    • 1 serrano chile, minced
    Lentil Barley Burgers:
    • 1 1/2 cups water
    • 1/2 cup dried lentils
    • cooking spray
    • 1 cup chopped onion
    • 1/4 cup grated carrot
    • 1 garlic clove, minced
    • 2 TBSP tomato paste
    • 1 1/2 tsp ground cumin
    • 3/4 tsp dried oregano
    • 1/2 tsp chili powder
    • 3/4 tsp salt, divided
    • 3/4 cup cooked pearl barley
    • 1/2 cup panko breadcrumbs
    • 1/4 cup finely chopped parsley
    • 1/2 tsp pepper
    • 2 egg whites
    • 1 egg
    • 3 TBSP canola oil, divided
    Instructions
    Fruit Salsa
    Combine ingredients in a bowl.
    Cover and place in fridge until ready to serve.
    Burgers
    Combine the water and lentils in a medium saucepan and bring to a boil.
    Cover, reduce the heat to medium and simmer for 25 minutes.
    Drain.
    Place half the lentils in a large bowl and the other half in a food processor.
    Process half of the lentils until smooth and add to the whole lentils in the bowl.
    Heat a large non-stick skillet over medium-high heat.
    Coat with cooking spray and sauté the carrot and onion 6 minutes, or until tender, stirring occasionally.
    Add garlic, cook 1 minute.
    Add the tomato paste, cumin, oregano, chili powder and 1/4 tsp salt - cook 1 minute, stirring constantly.
    Add the onion mixture to the lentils in the large bowl.
    Add the remaining 1/2 tsp salt, barley, panko, parsley, pepper, and eggs.
    Stir well, cover and refrigerate 1 hour.
    Divide the mixture into 8 portions, shaping each portion into a 1/2" thick patty.
    Heat 1 1/2 TBSP oil in a large non-stick skillet over medium-high heat.
    Cook 4 patties at a time, 3 minutes per side, until browned.
    Repeat with remaining patties.
    Serve with salsa and enjoy!
    Powered by Recipage


    (Cooking Light)

    2 comments:

    1. Wow, those look beautiful! Great colours. I feel you with the spicy-loving partner - my bf puts hot sauce on everything too!

      ReplyDelete
    2. Clearly, he's fried his own pepper receptors! ;-)

      What can I say? My Dad was like that and he used to play practical jokes on the rest of the family, sticking fiery hot pepper in other people's plates... I miss him...

      These burgers seem amazing to me, I still haven't made a veggie burger I liked, my problem is bad texture, they crumble and turn into ground "beef" ;-)

      ReplyDelete

    Leave a Comment!

    blog design by adoration