Crack Pie - The Gingered Whisk

Thursday, June 27, 2013

Crack Pie

Crack PIe

I have heard of crack pie before, but definitely never eaten it. And really, I wasn't really interested in trying it, either. There are a bajillion and a half different kinds of pies out there, and this one just didn't sound appealing to me at all. So when this month we were challenged to make pies and this recipe was given, I kind of forced myself to give it a shot. 

Crack Pie

And once again, my amazing ability to not read a recipe through before I start cooking almost screwed me over. I decided at noon to serve this pie after dinner with friends that evening, at 6. But they live about 30 minutes away, which means I had exactly 5.5 hours to make a pie that actually was supposed to sit overnight in the fridge before serving. Oops! Oh, and throw in there serve lunch and put a toddler down for a nap. So I cut some corners, obviously. My cookie crust wasn't completely cool when I crumbled it and used it for a base, but I am actually not sure that caused any problems. My oven has been kind of wonky lately (aka burning everything), and I panicked, turned my oven temperature down too early, and tried to tent it with foil. Let me just say, do not tent a gooey pie with foil. It does not work. It does not look pretty. You will get irritated. Luckily after a few very short hours in the fridge and a generous sprinkling of powdered sugar, you couldn't really tell. The pie was still definitely gooey when we ate it, but that didn't stop us from totally chowing down on this. 

Crack Pie

Now I know why this is called Crack Pie. Because its crack, people. Its highly addictive and delicious, and you just want to eat more! I was lucky enough to be able to save one piece to bring home with me, and after a night in the fridge it sat up quite nicely, and was, if possible, even more addicting and delicious than previous. 




Crack Pie


by The Gingered Whisk
Prep Time: 2 hours + overnight
Cook Time: 70 minutes
Keywords: dessert oats pie
Ingredients (8 servings)
    Oat Cookie Crust
    • 9 TBSP unsalted butter, room temperature
    • 5 1/2 TBSP brown sugar
    • 2 TBP white sugar
    • 1 egg
    • 3/4 cup + 2 TBSP old-fashioned oats
    • 1/2 cup flour
    • 1/8 tsp baking powder
    • 1/8 tsp baking soda
    • 1/4 tsp salt
    Filling:
    • 3/4 cup sugar
    • 1/2 up packed brown sugar
    • 1 TBSP dry milk powder
    • 1/4 tsp salt
    • 1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted and slightly cooled
    • 6 1/2 TBSP heavy whipping cream
    • 4 egg yolks
    • 1 tsp vanilla extract
    • powdered sugar for dusting
    Instructions
    Oat Cookie Crust
    Preheat oven to 350F.
    Line a 9x13 pan with parchment paper.
    Butter a 9" pie pan.
    In a medium bowl, combine 6 TBSP butter, 4 TBSP brown sugar, and the white sugar in a bowl with an electric mixer until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes.
    Add the egg and beat until pale and fluffy, about 1 minute.
    Add the oats, flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt and beat until well blended.
    Dump the mixture out into the baking pan and spread out evenly.
    Bake for 18 minutes, or until light golden. Cool completely, about 1 hour.
    Using your fingers, crumble the cookie into a large bowl.
    Add the remaining 3 TBSP of butter and 1.5 TBSP of brown sugar and rub with your fingertips until the mixture is moist and it sticks together when pressed.
    Transfer the crumbs to the pie dish and press evenly into the bottom and sides.
    Filling
    Preheat oven to 350F.
    In a medium bowl, whisk together the sugars, milk powder, and salt.
    Add the melted butter and whisk until blended.
    Add the cream, then the egg yolks, and the vanilla and whisk until blended.
    Pour the filling into the crust.
    Bake for 30 minutes.
    Reduce the oven temperature to 325 and bake for an additional 20 minutes, or until the filling is brown on top and set around the edges (but the center is still slightly jiggly).
    Cool completely in the pie dish on a wire rack.
    Chill, uncovered, overnight.
    Sift powdered sugar lightly over the top of the pie.
    Cut into wedges and serve cold.
    Enjoy!
    Powered by Recipage

    (recipe from Momofuku Milk Bar, Bon Appetit)

    14 comments:

    1. This was pretty addictive stuff, wasn't it?

      ReplyDelete
    2. LOL. I tend to not try the "trendy" recipes just on principle, but this is one I am so glad I tried! I bet your friends LOVED it!!

      ReplyDelete
    3. Despite all your problems with this pie, I hope you enjoyed this challeng as much as I did.

      ReplyDelete
    4. Your misadventure obviously didn't hurt the pie at all. Nice! I've made Crack Pie before and all of us eating it kept saying it was sweet... but we just couldn't stop gobbling it up!

      ReplyDelete
    5. I know your pain. I'm a chronic "forget to read recipe properly and realise it needs an overnight rest'er too. Gooey pie sounds brilliant though! I'm glad you were able to smuggle home a piece - it looks delicious. :)

      ReplyDelete
    6. LOL! I love the story that goes with your pie, Jenni! I'm definitely guilty of reading a recipe through completely! Thanks so much for baking with me this month :)

      ReplyDelete
    7. Yum, this sounds delicious! I'll be making this very soon :)

      ReplyDelete
    8. Yum, this sounds delicious! I'll be making this very soon :)

      ReplyDelete
    9. Yum, this sounds delicious! I'll be making this very soon :)

      ReplyDelete
    10. I have that same well-developed skill of not reading a recipe through before starting... duh! I can't wait to make this pie!

      ReplyDelete
    11. Oh yummy Jenni! I also never had crack pie before, but I imagine it must be as addictive as you've described.

      ReplyDelete
    12. I've had this recipe saved on my phone since you've posted it and got around to making it this past week. Amazing! It was devoured in minutes! I love the sweet, honey taste of the filling, and I want to try out the crumb crust for other pies as well. Definitely a keeper for me!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Oh yay, I am so glad you loved it! Its so addictive, isn't it?! And I agree, I think the crust would be awesome in so many other pies!

        Delete
    13. I almost made the pie this month since I missed it - looks great - instead I picked your Povitica and I don't regret it. A little late - but thanks for the challenge :)

      ReplyDelete

    Leave a Comment!

    blog design by adoration