Creamy Spring Pasta - The Gingered Whisk

Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Creamy Spring Pasta

Creamy Spring Pasta

Guys, I have a problem. Its a combination of Etsy, Pinterest, and trying to combine a toddler bedroom into a toddler/infant shared nursery without actually buying much of anything. Add to the fact that I'm still drop-dead tired and barely making it from breakfast to nap and from nap to bedtime, and I'm doing a loooooot of online window shopping. And making a big "to-do" list for someone to do! And having a lot of fun doing it! :) 

Creamy Spring Pasta

This pasta is perfect for this time of year. It's quick to bring together, has all the great things about spring (meaning asparagus) and it is so creamy and delicious, no one will ever believe it came from Cooking Light! My husband actually asked me five times during dinner, and then I even had to show him. I loved the garlicy breadcrumbs on top, and the veggies! Yum! Ok, I loved everything about this dish. Just the whole thing. And I ate my fair share (and then some). I'm pregnant, I can do that. :) 

Creamy Spring Pasta



Creamy Spring Pasta


by The Gingered Whisk
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Keywords: stove-top entree low-cal bread asparagus pea cheese spring
Ingredients (4 servings)
  • 2 ounces French Baguette, torn into pieces (or other thick crusty bread)
  • 1 TBSP butter
  • 3 garlic cloves, minced (divided)
  • 1 1/2 cups diagonally cut asparagus
  • 1 cup frozen green peas (I only had a bag of mixed peas, corn and carrots, so I used that)
  • 6 ounces fettuccine
  • 2 tsp olive oil
  • 1/3 cup finely chopped sweet onion
  • 1 TBSP flour
  • 1/4 cup chicken broth
  • 1 cup milk
  • 3 ounces 1/3-less-fat- cream cheese
  • 1 ounce Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, grated (about 1/4 cup packed)
  • 1/2 tsp kosher salt
  • 1/4 tsp pepper
Instructions
In a large saucepan bring 3 quarts of water to boil.
Place the bread pieces in a food processor and process until coarse crumbs form.
In a large skillet over medium heat melt the butter.
Add 1 garlic clove to the pan and saute for 1 minute.
Add the breadcrumbs and saute for 3 minutes, or until golden brown and toasted.
Remove the breadcrumbs from the skillet and set aside - wipe out the skillet with a paper towel.
When the water is boiling, add the asparagus and peas and cook for 3 minutes, or until crisp-tender.
Remove the veggies from the water with a slotted spoon (keep the water in the pan!) and rise under cold water. Drain and set aside.
Add the pasta to the boiling water (yes, the same water as before) and cook 10 minutes, or until al dente.
Drain and keep warm.
In the same skillet as you cooked the breadcrumbs, heat the olive oil over medium heat.
Add the onion and remaining 2 cloves of garlic - cook 3 minutes or until tender, stirring frequently.
In a mug or small bowl, add the flour and gradually whisk in the chicken broth.
Add the broth mixture to the pan, and then the milk, and whisk constantly until it comes together.
Bring to a boil, reduce the heat and cook 1 minute, or until thickened, whisking constantly.
Remove from heat, add the cheeses, salt, and pepper, and stir until the cheese melts.
Add the pasta, asparagus, and peas, and toss well to coat.
Portion out the pasta onto the plates and sprinkle the tops with the breadcrumbs.
Enjoy!
Powered by Recipage
 (Cooking Light, April 2012)


7 comments:

  1. I love asparagus in pasta dishes! This creamy pasta looks perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks perfect for the spring! I can't wait to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It must be so hard to be tired all the time, but it's for a wonderful reason, so... hang in there!


    still, tired or not, you are eating very well and cooking up wonderful stuff!

    lovely pasta... I'd be happy with a plate for dinner tonight!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would just shove a crib in the toddler's room and laissez-faire lol This spring pasta looks phenomenal, Jenni! I love that its creamy without cream and the breadcrumb topping..come to meee! I WISH I was having this for breakfast!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooh, that looks really good. I'm loving the sound of the garlicky breadcrumbs on top. I might have a go at this in the next week or two.

    "has all the great things about spring (meaning asparagus)"

    haha, yes!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, that does sound good. Best of luck with finding someone else to take care of your to do list ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I absolutely adore green peas and asparagus in my pasta Jenni! It looks awesome!

    ReplyDelete

Leave a Comment!

blog design by adoration