Whole Wheat Tortillas - The Gingered Whisk

Friday, May 4, 2012

Whole Wheat Tortillas



Between all the recent books on eating and healthy diets, documentaries, and news media lately, I am just kind of sick of everything that can be found in a grocery store. It really makes me want to move to a commune and make all of my own food (anyone want to join me?) Just thinking of all the crap that is in my food that I don't want to be there gives me the heebee-jeebee's. (Is that how you spell that word? Spell checker actually accepted it, so I'm going to go with it.)

As a way to cut down a little on the pre-processed foods that we buy and consume (which I already try to stay away from anyway), I decided to try and make my own tortillas for the first time. Since I was going for health anyway, I went ahead and used 100% whole wheat flour.

This was a super simple recipe. The tortillas came together so quick, and so easily! The only snafu was when I thought I would be clever and pre-roll my tortillas and place them between layers of waxed paper, so I could cook them up faster. Yeah, that doesn't work. Twelve beautiful, perfectly thin, perfectly round tortillas become sticky blobs indiscernible from the waxed paper between them,  resulting in 40 minutes of carefully picking the dough off, trying not to get any waxed paper, and then re-rolling only 6 tortillas. Just make them one at a time, or lay them one by on on the counter. Even after all the extra self-caused trouble, these tortillas were amazing. Totally worth it! They were soft and very flavorful, and perfect. Both Joel and I agreed that we will never ever buy store-bought tortillas ever again!


Whole Wheat Tortillas (Handle The Heat)
 Yield: 10-12 medium sized tortillas

2 cups whole wheat flour
1/2 tsp salt
3 TBSP olive oil
2/3 cup warm water

In a medium bowl whisk together the flour and salt.
Add the olive oil and mix until combined thoroughly.
Mix in the warm water slowly, until you have a soft dough.
Cover the bowl and allow to sit for 20 minutes.
Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead a few times.
Pat the dough into an even disc and cut into 10-12 pieces.
Roll each piece into a ball.
Cover the balls with plastic wrap and allow to sit for 20 minutes.
Working with one ball at a time, squash each ball into a flat disc.
Using a floured rolling pin, roll the tortillas into very thin, 6-8" round circles.
Heat a heavy ungreased griddle over medium-high heat.
Toss a tortilla onto the griddle and heat for 1 minute.
Turn and heat on the other side for 1 minute.
Remove the tortilla, place on a plate, cover with a towel, and cook another tortilla.
The tortillas will keep in the refrigerator for 1 week, or will freeze in an airtight container for 2 months.

2 comments:

  1. I've always wanted to make tortillas!

    Yum :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice job on making your own tortillas from scratch. They look light and perfectly charred. Yum.

    ReplyDelete

Leave a Comment!

blog design by adoration