Guest Post! A Ginger Sling With A Sweet Red Hea - The Gingered Whisk

Sunday, May 6, 2012

Guest Post! A Ginger Sling With A Sweet Red Hea


I have good news and bad for you. The bad news is that this is the week that I am moving, and so I'm sorry, but I don't really have time to cook, edit and post delicious food for you. And truthfully, we are probably going to be living off of Chick-Fil-A and Papa John's. But the good news is that I have brought you a truly awesome line-up of guest posters all this week! To start us off, I would love for you to meet Sally, of Bewitching Kitchen. I first met Sally when I signed up for The Secret Recipe Club. Sally's blog was my very first assignment, and I instantly fell in love with all her great recipes - and particularly all her sourdough recipes! Sally loves her three puppies, and is a microbiologist and biochemist! You know I can't say no to a fellow nerdy scientist! Check out the lovely post that Sally has done for you:


Did I get a song in your mind?  :)

I was thrilled when Jenni asked me to contribute with a guest post to her blog!  Guest posts are a lot of fun, even if there’s a bit of anxiety from the moment of the invitation to the decision of what to cook and write about.  I got to know Jenni through The Secret Recipe Club, and the first thing that appealed to me on her blog was its name: “The Gingered Whisk”.  How beautiful!  She’s got red hair and loves to bake, so her choice of name for the blog was simply perfect!
To celebrate The Gingered Whisk in full style, I wanted to make something with a ginger-red color, and a ginger flavor. So here is a cake topped with blood oranges, and a drink with the amazing red color of hibiscus flowers.  Both the cake and the tea are flavored with a little ginger, for good measure.





OLIVE OIL CAKE WITH CANDIED BLOOD ORANGE (adapted from Bon Appetit, June 2011)
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup semolina flour
1/2 cup olive oil
1 + 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon ground cardamom
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 cup sugar, divided
3 large eggs, separated
2/3 cup plain yogurt
1 teaspoon grated ginger
2 teaspoons grated orange zest
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

To make the candied orange
Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Mix in a saucepan 3 cups of water with the sugar, honey, and cardamon. Bring to a boil, stirring until the sugar dissolves.  Add the orange slices, reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer  until the orange slices are tender, and the syrup is reduced to 3 and ¼ cups (about 40 minutes). Arrange the slices in a single layer on the baking sheet, and strain the syrup to remove the cardamon.  Reserve syrup and oranges separately (this preparation can be made one day or two in advance, keep refrigerated).

To make the cake.
Heat oven to 350°. Brush a 9 inch spring form pan with oil. Whisk both flours, baking powder, ground cardamon,  salt, and baking soda in a medium bowl. In another bowl, beat 1/4 cup sugar and 1/2 cup of oil for 1 minute with an electric mixer. Add the egg yolks and beat until combined, then add the flour mixture.  Mix in the yogurt, grated ginger, orange zest and vanilla.
Using clean, dry beaters, beat egg whites in another medium bowl until they form soft peaks. Slowly add the remaining 1/4 cup of sugar, beat until the peaks firm up. Fold the beaten egg whites into the cake batter in two additions.  Transfer to the prepared pan, smooth the top, and bake  until a toothpick comes out clean (25 to 30 minutes).
Pierce hot cake all over with a metal skewer, and slowly drizzle 1/4 cup warm syrup all over.  When the syrup is absorbed, pour another 1/4 cup, and let it soak through.  Let the cake cool in the pan over a rack, once completely cool, run a knife around the edges and open the sides of the pan.   Arrange the candied slices of orange over the cake, and serve with additional syrup to drizzle over the slices, if so desired.
ENJOY!
Now, time for tea…



VANILLA GINGER BISSAP (from Global Table Adventure)
4 cups boiling water
1/8 cup hibiscus
1 tsp fresh grated ginger
1 tsp vanilla extract
sugar, to taste
Boil the water, add the hibiscus, ginger, vanilla extract, and steep for a few minutes. Marvel at the gorgeous color… Add sugar to taste, and enjoy the tea hot or cold, over ice cubes.



As I mentioned before, I am quite fond of blood oranges, I love the “surprise-effect” of cutting them open, not sure how red they will be.  During cooking to make the candied slices, some of the red tone was lost, but their flavor wasn’t compromised at all.  One of the changes I made to the recipe was to reduce the amount of syrup added to the cake, because as written, it seemed excessive.  I didn’t want to make the airy structure of the cake compromised by too much syrup.
If I had to pick my top three favorite cakes of all times, this one makes this highly selective list.  I am officially a cardamon-lover, its flavor is like no other spice, and in this cake, absolutely perfect.   Of course, a little drama always happens when I make a cake, and this one was no exception.  The cake should be baked in an 9 inch spring form pan, which I carefully prepared. But, I didn’t put away its bigger sister, the 10-inch pan.  Obviously, I poured the batter in the larger pan, and only noticed my mistake half-way through baking.  So, my cake was slightly thinner than it should.  No major harm done.  Just two pans to wash instead of one…
The syrup made for the cake was a great sweetener for the hibiscus tea, by the way.  Just a little teaspoon in the cup, sipped slowly with a slice of cake.
Jenni, thanks for having me over!  I had a ton of fun with this post, it was a great opportunity to dare and face my cake fears… :)

12 comments:

  1. Two great recipes. I have been meaning to include more blood oranges in my cooking/drinking and this cake seems simple and tasty.

    I'm intrigued by the taste of hibiscus and the vibrant colour from the 'leaves' or is it flowers though I have no idea where I'd find them? :)

    Great guest post and I hope to be able to look at the other recipes on the blog soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your use of cardamom, ginger and orange zest as flavorings in this cake.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another winner, Sally! It's a beautiful cake, and I love the way you used the syrup as a sweetener for the drink; it reminds me of an interior decorator using the same color, but in different patterns, to pull a room together. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great to be here, Jenni! Hope your move will go smoothly, moving is one of the toughest things to go through, but it's always for the better!

    Good luck, and thanks for having me at The Gingered Whisk....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, would you look at that gorgeous blood orange cake!! what a great recipe choice for a guest post - a plate of sunshine. I'm loving all the ingredients especially the orange zest, ginger and yogurt - lip-smacking goodness! I think I may have to give this one a try...(what was the quantity of olive oil used?).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. sorry, Kelly

      it's 1/2 cup - I will ask Jenni to edit, I'm so sorry it got cut out during my prep of the post

      Delete
  6. I'm visiting from Bewitching Kitchen! Fabulous choice in a guest blogger. :) And I'm absolutely drooling over this delicious looking cake.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds wonderful Sally. I love blood oranges.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Guest posts! How exciting :)

    The cake looks delicious.

    Hope moving goes well!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful cake, Sally and a surprise for sure. The drink is glorious looking in its color. Two winners, here.

    Thanks Jenni for having Sally as a guest. It's nice to have "found" you, too.

    Marcia

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful cake and drink, too, Sally. We've been unable to find blood oranges after February, but I love them dearly.

    Thanks for "introducing" me to Jenni and The Gingered Whisk, too.

    Marcia

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a wonderful cake Sally
    I have been meaning to try an olive oil cake forever now and yours seems more than perfect, I just need to get my hands on some blood oranges

    ReplyDelete

Leave a Comment!

blog design by adoration