White Russian Cupcakes - The Gingered Whisk

Thursday, December 8, 2011

White Russian Cupcakes



I have been wanting to make these cupcakes for a while now, but just hadn't found the proper occasion to make them yet (I know, you don't really need an occasion to make cupcakes, right?!) You might remember that my best friends Amy and Abby flew 800 miles to come and spend 24 hours with me a few weeks back. I decided that my perfect reason was here!

Little did I know that alcohol is hard to find here. Except for the cheap beer, you can't buy alcohol at the grocery store, so I had to look up a specialty store to find Vodka and Kahlua. But when I got to the store the prices were huge for these little tiny bottles. I decided to get a bottle of the pre-mixed White Russians, since I could get more booze for the buck that way.

These cupcakes were ah-maze-ing! They were tender and sweet, and the frosting...oh man, the frosting was awesome (in fact, I might have eaten some if it straight out of the bowl)!!! Before we knew it, the four of us has eaten all 12 cupcakes. In 24 hours. That means that we ate 3 cupcakes a piece. And factor in that I didn't serve these until after dinner, plus 8 hours of sleeping time, and that means that we ate these pretty much non-stop. And as soon as they were gone, we wanted more. In fact, not even a day after my friends had returned home I got a text message "I can't get those cupcakes out of my head!!" Me either, Abby. Me either.

Is that for me?


White Russian Cupcakes (Baked Perfection)
Yield: 12 cupcakes

1 1/4 cups flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
3/4 cup sugar
6 TBSP butter, room temperature
1 egg + 1 egg white
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup milk
1/8 cup Vodka
1/4 cup Kahlua, divided

**You can also substitute the pre-mixed White Russian for the same amount of Vodka and Kahlua)

Preheat oven to 350.
Prepare a cupcake pan.

In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt.
In a separate bowl, or a stand mixer, beat together the sugar and butter until fluffy.
Add the egg and egg white, one at a time, mixing well after each addition.
Add in the vanilla, the Vodka, and 1/8 cup of the Kahlua.
Gradually add the flour in three additions, alternating with the milk in two additions.
Fill the cupcake wells 2/3 full.
Bake 17-20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the middle of a cupcake comes out clean.
While the cupcakes are still warm, brush the tops with the remaining 1/8 cup of Kahlua
Remove from pan and cool completely on a wire rack before frosting.

Kahlua Buttercream (Baked Perfection)

1 stick butter, room temperature
3 cups powdered sugar
pinch of salt
3-4 TBSP Kahlua

Beat the butter until creamy.
Add the salt.
Add the powdered sugar 1 cup at a time, beating until well combined.
Add the Kahlua 1 TBSP at a time, until you have reached the desired consistency (I found this frosting to be very thick, so I added a splash of milk as well to get it to the consistency that I wanted).



2 comments:

  1. They are delicious! We loved them at the Big Lebowski Party.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ooooh boozy cupcakes - yes please! haha... alcohol makes everything better. i don't care what anyone says... judge away, people! ;) Cute puppers by the way.. little monkey :)

    ReplyDelete

Leave a Comment!

blog design by adoration