Sourdough Pizza Dough - The Gingered Whisk

Sunday, December 4, 2011

Sourdough Pizza Dough



It seems like pizza has become a Sunday tradition. We go to the grocery store to stock up on supplies for the week, and it always seems to be just about dinner time when we are heading out of the store. And dang it if there isn't a Little Ceaser's next door! Their $5 Hot and Ready pizza and Crazy Bread is really hard to turn down. Especially since all the Little Ceasar's closed down at home, but here in WV, they are everywhere and we love it! But we've been going a little out of control lately. Getting pizza, breadsticks, and wings every week isn't the best thing for our wallets or our waistlines. Someone whined a lot when I said "NO Pizza" this week (can you guess who that was?) so I conceded by making our own. Its definitely cheaper, and a tiny bit healthier. Right? 

I know what you are thinking. I'm one of those people, you know the ones - who like pineapple on their pizza. Hey, I am who I am, and I just gotta be me! Have you tried it?! 


I really liked this pizza dough! It was easy to make, easy to work with, and tasted a million times better than any pizza dough I have ever had before! This is definitely going to be my "Go To" recipe from now on! Seriously! This was probably the best pizza I have ever eaten! I hope you make it soon, and let me know if you like it!

Sourdough Pizza Dough (My Italian Smorgasbord)

2 cups sourdough starter
3 cups bread flour
1/2 cup water, room temperature
1 tsp kosher salt
2 Tbsp olive oil
cornmeal for dusting

Add the starter and water to the bowl of an electric mixer, and using a wooden spoon, stir together until combined.
Add the flour, salt and olive oil and mix until combined.
Using the dough hook of your mixer, knead by machine for 5 minutes.
Seperate the dough into four balls.
Flatten each ball a bit and place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
Sprinkle with cornmeal and top with saran wrap.
Let rest at room temperature (around 70-75) for 1 hour 30 minutes.
Roll each ball out to the desired shape/size and top with sauce and toppings.
Bake in a preheated 450 degree oven for 15-20 minutes.
Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. I absolutely love this recipe. My first couple of attempts I rolled it way too thin--more cracker than pizza crust, but I made a pizza on Monday that was absolutely perfect. This is a wonderful recipe. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Leave a Comment!

blog design by adoration