Zucchini Ham and Ricotta Fritters - The Gingered Whisk

Saturday, September 10, 2011

Zucchini Ham and Ricotta Fritters


Ever wonder what a blogger's favorite food is? I would have said that my favorite food is Tiramisu, hands down, but a quick look at my label bar tells me that I am totally wrong. Apparently my favorite foods are cake, chocolate, bread, and zucchini. This just happens to be my 16th recipe using zucchini. Seriously! And it will also (I promise) be my last for this season. The zucchini around here is starting to dwindle down to small, shriveled, sad looking things. Do you have any left?

I've been wanting to make this recipe for a while, but it kept getting pushed back. I don't think my husband was very eager to try it, and I never seemed to be able to fit it into lunch, and then I always ended up using the zucchini for something else. Well, I finally made them, and I am so glad I did! And the rest of the family was pleased as punch, seeing as how they could not stop eating them! These would be great for a brunch, served as appetizers, and are even great as a straight from the fridge snack.

Zucchini, Ham and Ricotta Fritters (adapted from Smitten Kitchen)

1 cup flour
2 eggs
2 tbsp butter, melted
1/3 cup milk
1/2 cup ricotta cheese
3 ounces ham, cut into small pieces
1/4 cup torn fresh basil leaves
1 zucchini, shredded
salt and pepper, to taste
vegetable oil for shallow frying

Shred your zucchini and cut your ham.
In a mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, eggs, butter, milk, salt and pepper.
Fold in the ricotta, basil, ham and zucchini.
Place a small amount of vegetable oil into a large skillet and heat on medium-high heat.
Place spoonfuls of the batter into the pan and cook for 2-3 minutes until golden brown on the bottom.
Using a flat metal spatula, flip the fritter over and smoosh it down a bit to flatten it out (this helps to cook more evenly) and cook for an additional 3 minutes, until golden brown and cooked through.
Repeat with remaining batter.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a Comment!

blog design by adoration