Black Bean Burger with Mango Salsa - The Gingered Whisk

Thursday, August 4, 2011

Black Bean Burger with Mango Salsa



Before we moved here, I decided that we seriously needed to curtail our grocery spending. It was getting a little out of hand, and definitely needed reining in. Part of the way I decided to do this (besides cutting out Doritos, Coke, and other things that just happen to find their way into our cart) was to have at least two meals a week be vegetarian.

I'm not very good with vegetarian food. I never quite know what to make, and so I usually fall back on pancakes. I loooove pancakes, and so does Ladybug, but hubby doesn't (I know, its unbelievable, isn't it?!) so I've been trying to find other alternatives. We have also been really missing our grill since moving to apartment-ville, and this recipe just seemed too perfect to pass up.

It was really easy to throw together, but I was seriously questioning it while the patties were baking. I had NO idea if they were done or not, they still seemed kind of gooey to me. They were very interesting. Definitely not bad, but I'm not sure if I will make this particular recipe again. It was just a little too different for us, but maybe its because we aren't over our "burger = meat" thing. We will try again, but I just thought that I would post this recipe anyways, in case one of you just LOVES it! :)

Black Bean Burger with Mango Salsa (Cooking Light, April 2010)

2 (15-ounce) cans black beans, rinsed and drained
3/4 cup finely chopped cilantro, divided
3 ounces (3/4 cup) shredded monterey jack cheese
1/4 cup Panko breadcrumbs
2 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp dried oregano
1/2 tsp sea salt
1/2 medium jalapeno, finely chopped
2 large egg whites
cooking spray
1 mango, peeled and chopped
3 tablespoons chopped onion
1 1/2 tbsp fresh lime juice
1 avocado, peeled and chopped
1 garlic clove, minced
6 whole wheat hamburger buns
6 green leaf lettuce leaves

Preheat the oven to 350.
In a large bowl, mash the black beans with a fork.
Stir in 1/2 cup cilantro, cheese, breadcrumbs, cumin, oregano, salt, jalapeno and egg whites.
Shape the mixture into 6 patties and arrange on a baking sheet that has been coated with cooking spray.
Bake at 350 for 20 minutes, carefully turning once.

Combine the remaining cilantro, mango, onion, lime juice, avocado, and garlic in a medium bowl.

Place a patty on the bottom of each hamburger bun, top with salsa and lettuce


What's your favorite veggie burger recipe?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a Comment!

blog design by adoration