Lemon Bars - The Gingered Whisk

Monday, April 4, 2011

Lemon Bars

Lemon Bars - The Gingered Whisk


The grocery store that I frequent carries a good selection of your everyday, run of the mill produce. They have all the normal stuff - apples, bananas, carrots, celery, everything you need for your basic recipe. But they don't carry anything exotic, unusual, or fun.  That is why when my Mom comes into town we like to take a little drive. About thirty minutes away, in the "rich" side of town, there is a Whole Foods. Now, I know my husband (and Dad, too) is rolling his eyes, but he just doens't understand. Because my mom and I get practically giddy with excitement when we are at Whole Foods. They have all kinds of wonderfully foreign things there - purple carrots, figs, tiny little potatoes the size of my toes, and bins and bins of different mushrooms.

Lemon Bars - The Gingered Whisk


So yes, it is entirely possible that I might have squealed when I saw a bag of Meyer Lemons. And yes, it is also possible that I stopped right there in the isle, whipped out my phone, found a recipe and proclaimed "MOM, I have to get these, I don't have any lemon bars on my blog, and I think I need some!" And, since my Mom loves lemon bars, she whole heartedly agreed with me.

Unlike the lemon bars that I grew up eating, these are thick, gooey, and perfectly sweet!!


Lemon Bars


by The Gingered Whisk
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 55 minutes
Keywords: dessert lemon bar
Ingredients (12 servings)
    For the crust:
    • 1/2 pound unsalted butter, at room temperature
    • 1/2 cup granulated sugar
    • 2 cups flour
    • 1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
    For the lemon layer:
    • 6 extra-large eggs at room temperature
    • 2 1/2 cups granulated sugar
    • 2 tablespoons grated lemon zest (4 to 6 lemons)
    • 1 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
    • 1 cup flour
    • Confectioners’ sugar, for dusting
    Instructions
    Preheat the oven to 350°F and grease a 9 by 13 by 2-inch baking sheet.
    For the crust, cream the butter and sugar until light in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment.
    Combine the flour and salt and, with the mixer on low, add to the butter until just mixed.
    Dump the dough onto a well-floured board and gather into a ball.
    Flatten the dough with floured hands and press it into the greased baking sheet, building up a 1/2-inch edge on all sides. Chill.
    Bake the crust for 15 to 20 minutes, until very lightly browned. Let cool on a wire rack. Leave the oven on!!!
    For the lemon layer, whisk together the eggs, sugar, lemon zest, lemon juice, and flour.
    Pour over the crust and bake for 30 to 35 minutes or about five minutes beyond the point where the filling is set. Let cool to room temperature.
    Cut into triangles and dust with confectioners’ sugar.
    Powered by Recipage

    Recipe from Smitten Kitchen's blog.

    1 comment:

    1. Jenni. I can spend hours in places like Whole Foods..giddy is understatment! Those lemon bars look amazing, and what a treat to have found Meyer's! Would you believe I've never tasted a Meyer lemon?? Need to get on it!

      ReplyDelete

    Leave a Comment!

    blog design by adoration